Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By UltraDroid

Thread: The Near Future Will Bring About Wireless Tech that is 1,000 Times Faster than 4G

Member #
    Liked
    10 times

The Near Future Will Bring About Wireless Tech that is 1,000 Times Faster than 4G

It's almost frightening how quickly technology advances sometimes. Here's a case in point: a couple of times last year, we did a story on newer more advanced wireless tech called, Advanced LTE. With Advanced LTE currently in testing we have seen that within the next couple of years we could see wireless data connections that hit 600-900 Mbps. To put it in perspective, that is about 15-20 times faster than our current fastest speeds on 4G LTE. However, a new breakthrough in wireless technology has just been achieved by a team of researchers at the University of Pittsburgh that could make even those speeds obsolete in a very short time. Hrvoje Petek, a physics and chemistry professor at the University of Pittsburgh in charge of the research has recently had a breakthrough in which wireless internet bandwidth could be 1,000 times faster than current 4G LTE!

Current technology transmits data in the gigahertz frequency; however Petek's team has been able to theoretically transfer information in the terahertz frequency of the electromagnetic spectrum. Here's a quote from the BGR article with some more details,

Petek’s discovery of “a physical basis for terahertz bandwidth” could potentially be used to leverage the “portion of the electromagnetic spectrum between infrared and microwave light” and transmit data at rates 1,000 times faster than today’s wireless standards, which are limited to the gigahertz frequency. “The ability to modulate light with such a bandwidth could increase the amount of information carried by more than 1,000 times when compared to the volume carried with today’s technologies,” Petek said. “Needless to say, this has been a long-awaited discovery in the field.”
    There's an interesting bit of information on the fringe of the story that is even more mind-boggling. Supposedly, Petek and his team expected to hit the 15.6 THz in their experiments, using just traditional silicon; however, the team is actually aiming much higher than that by studying coherent oscillation of electrons. They believe that they will eventually be able to achieve wireless spectrum speeds in the petahertz frequency range by harnessing "light-matter interactions". With the right materials, they could leap-frog this new breakthrough and achieve speeds 1,000 times faster than their newest breakthrough! If you are doing the simple math, this means that it is possible within our lifetime, we will see internet data speeds 1 Million times faster than our current tech. Hmmm... Speculate on this. The philosophical potentialities are endless!

Source: BGR

2. Register to Remove these Ads

Member #
    Liked
    29 times
    I can't wait for this, but at the same time I'm afraid to know what the bill is going to be for something like this..

Member #
    Liked
    52 times
    Phone Model
    Galaxy Nexus (GSM), Note 2, Galaxy S 3
    Phone Carrier
    AT&T
    LOL! Yeah, there's always the question of "How much will THIS end up costing me?"

Member #
    Liked
    29 times
    Is a love/hate relationship with technology.

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Phone Model
    Samsung Galaxy S III, HTC One X, HTC Inspire 4G, Motorola Atrix 4G, Samsung Galaxy S - Sold
    Phone Carrier
    AT&T
    Wow! Thats all I can say... I've heard of the 900MB/S testing.... but the rest.... just wow!
    Please feel free to PM me with any Issues/Concerns

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    I am interested to see how useful that technology will be. Here is why I say this:

Right now, take 60Ghz, the size of the "beam" that comes out of the antenna and the rate the signal attenuates makes it impossible to penetrate anything. If you did a link between two buildings say 1/4 mile apart, and you get a decent rain, your signal will suffer from rain fade, even at a relatively high power output from the radio because of the size of the beam. From what I understand, it is almost like a laser. I would be curious to see how that would work.

MLB
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I can see it now ...

Speed: 2 petahertz (with two-year contract.

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MLB View Post
    I can see it now ...

Speed: 2 petahertz (with two-year contract.
    "Note - To customers who wish to purchase the 2 petahertz plan, you must be in a Faraday cage at all times and are not allowed to touch the device. Also note, you will have to purchase the $85,000 base station; antenna, cables and power cable not included."

I kid, I kid!! I am so curious to see how this develops. It would be awesome, but what I know about the physics of wireless (not a whole lot, but enough to get some of the concepts) tells me this is not practical for commercial use.

Member #
    Liked
    52 times
    Phone Model
    Galaxy Nexus (GSM), Note 2, Galaxy S 3
    Phone Carrier
    AT&T
    Does this mean we don't have Transporter Beams (like on Star Trek) on the immediate horizon?
    G-Man likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Phone Model
    Samsung Galaxy S III, HTC One X, HTC Inspire 4G, Motorola Atrix 4G, Samsung Galaxy S - Sold
    Phone Carrier
    AT&T
    Quote Originally Posted by ultradroid View Post
    does this mean we don't have transporter beams (like on star trek) on the immediate horizon?
    rofl!!!!!
    Please feel free to PM me with any Issues/Concerns

Remove Ads

Links