Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: [HOW TO] Unbrick/Restore HTC One S to Stock "Relocked"

Member #
    Liked
    13 times

[HOW TO] Unbrick/Restore HTC One S to Stock "Relocked"

If you want to restore your One S to it's factory state (well, as close as possible if you unlocked the bootloader and rooted), or if you're stuck in a bootloop (soft bricked), this should get you back to square one.

Also, anything you see in blue text is what you'll need to type, or copy/paste, to avoid any quote confusion.

Files You Need:
    • T-Mobile USA RUU file (mirror) - it's about 563 mb, and worth saving once you download it.
    • Extremely Important: If you're on another carrier you'll need a different RUU file - DO NOT try and run this RUU file, it could really screw you up. Go to this link to find the right RUU file.
    • HTC Drivers (mirror) - You probably already have the drivers installed if you're needing this thread, but just in case...
    • ADB / Fastboot (mirror) - same as the drivers, but again, just in case...

Initial Setup:
    • Again, some of this might be redundant as you might already have this setup if you rooted/unlocked.
    • Install the HTC drivers if you haven't already
    • Unzip the adbfastboot.zip file to your desktop (anywhere, but I find it easiest to get to it on the desktop for my habits)

Getting into the bootloader (hboot):
    • If you're stuck in a boot loop, pull the batt... oh wait, we can't do that here. To perform a hard reset, hold down the power button for 10 seconds - in the process you'll see the softkeys start blinking, then it should reset. As soon as it starts to reset, release power, and hold down the volume-down button - hold it until hboot pops up (white screen, colored text).
    • If you're phone is fully powered off (make sure "fastboot" is disabled - settings > power), hold the volume-down key and while holding it, press and hold power for a few seconds. You can probably release the power button, just make sure you keep holding volume-down - after probably 3-5 seconds (maybe a bit more), hboot should come up.
    • If the phone is on and you're plugged in to your computer, make sure "usb debugging is enabled" (settings > developer options), shift+right-click the adbfastboot directory on your desktop (or wherever you put it), choose "open command window here", and in the prompt that comes up, input adb reboot bootloader.

Restoring:
    • Once you're in hboot, make sure you select Fastboot (if you don't see it, you're in Fastboot already). In the command prompt referenced above, input fastboot oem lock. This will relock your bootloader in order to allow the RUU to run. Historically this has been necessary for an RUU to run, but I haven't actually tested it without relocking on the One S, and assumed based on previous HTC devices that this would continue to be the case. Edit: thanks rbrookstx for confirming that re-locking is necessary
    • Your phone will reboot when it relocks - follow the steps above to get back into hboot.
    • Once you're back in hboot, make sure you're in Fastboot, and open / run the RUU file. It'll go through some initial prompts, then it should start. It takes about 10-15 minutes, maybe less, depending on your computer.
    • Once it's done, it'll simply go back into hboot - reboot, and you're good to go.

A couple of notes:
    • When you unlocked and flashed a custom recovery (if you did that), hboot probably said "tampered with" and when it booted up, it probably had a red message under the "HTC" logo about being a developer only device. That should be gone now. It should boot up clean, and hboot should simply say "relocked", with no tampered message.
    • Until a better solution comes out, once you unlock the bootloader with HTC's official method, it can never be locked the way it was from the factory. "Relocked" is the best you can do.
    Last edited by jntdroid; 06-21-2012 at 12:13 PM.
    "...life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it."

The only dumb question is the one not asked.

Make sure to include your phone model and carrier in your profile.

Guidelines of Conduct (for all of our forums)

2. Register to Remove these Ads

Member #
    you CANNOT restore to factory without first re-locking the BL, just a note

Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rbrookstx View Post
    you CANNOT restore to factory without first re-locking the BL, just a note
    You are correct - I think I covered that (but maybe need to highlight it more, or earlier) in the first line under the "restore" section.

Wait, I see now you were possibly just clarifying what I mentioned I hadn't tested prior... for some reason this site's moving extremely slow for me today, so it's taking me forever just to do a post!
    Last edited by jntdroid; 06-21-2012 at 12:12 PM.

Member #
    Yes, I was just clarifying. I tried it both ways. Your guide was invaluable incidentally. Better than the one HTC sent me.

Quote Originally Posted by jntdroid View Post
    You are correct - I think I covered that (but maybe need to highlight it more, or earlier) in the first line under the "restore" section.

Wait, I see now you were possibly just clarifying what I mentioned I hadn't tested prior... for some reason this site's moving extremely slow for me today, so it's taking me forever just to do a post!

Member #
    so i have been searching around for a method to fix my one s, but i couldnt get this to work for me, whenever i attempt to push anything through fastboot or adb it isnt detected, at this point its almost like there isnt a rom in existence, i followed all of these steps but it gives the a signature error code and says im using the wrong utility, i can't even boot into recovery, only hboot, any suggestions?

Member #
    Phone Model
    HTC One S
    Phone Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Sorry if this is a really stupid question, but... when you say open / run the RUU file, what exactly do you mean? Are you saying just type the name of the file at the command line? My understanding is the RUU is an executable, but I'm not sure if you're talking about running it through something like ADB or something else. Thanks.

Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheExpeditionary View Post
    so i have been searching around for a method to fix my one s, but i couldnt get this to work for me, whenever i attempt to push anything through fastboot or adb it isnt detected, at this point its almost like there isnt a rom in existence, i followed all of these steps but it gives the a signature error code and says im using the wrong utility, i can't even boot into recovery, only hboot, any suggestions?
    Were you running rooted stock? And if so, what version? Also, are you on T-Mobile USA or someone else?

Quote Originally Posted by pheltzer View Post
    Sorry if this is a really stupid question, but... when you say open / run the RUU file, what exactly do you mean? Are you saying just type the name of the file at the command line? My understanding is the RUU is an executable, but I'm not sure if you're talking about running it through something like ADB or something else. Thanks.
    No stupid questions... and you're correct - the RUU is simply an executable, so by open/run, I literally mean double click the icon (wherever you put the program) and run it. It has a GUI, so I don't really know what would happen if you simply typed the filename in the command prompt - been awhile since I've run an .exe like that - I would imagine it would act the same.

Member #
    Hey man, I really appreciate you posting this, but it isn't working for me. What do you mean by " shift+right-click the adbfastboot directory on your desktop (or wherever you put it), choose "open command window here", because I dont see a file that says adbfastboot, and right clicking it doesnt give me the option to open a command window or anything. And how do I change debugging If I cant access anything in the first place besides the bootloader? Thanks in advance.

Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Quote Originally Posted by milesmarrero View Post
    Hey man, I really appreciate you posting this, but it isn't working for me. What do you mean by " shift+right-click the adbfastboot directory on your desktop (or wherever you put it), choose "open command window here", because I dont see a file that says adbfastboot, and right clicking it doesnt give me the option to open a command window or anything. And how do I change debugging If I cant access anything in the first place besides the bootloader? Thanks in advance.
    Sorry for the slow response - haven't been on as much over the holiday. The fourth file under the "files you need" section is the adb/fastboot .zip file. When you extract it, it should create a directory wherever you extract it called "adbfastboot". If you're running Windows 7, you can right click on the directory (while holding the shift key), and one of the options that pops up should be "open command window here". When you do that, it should open a DOS prompt window. From that prompt, you can run the commands you need.

The USB Debugging option was only mentioned as one option to get into the bootloader/hboot. The key before running the RUU is being in fastboot in the bootloader, that's it. So in your case, you don't need to worry about USB debugging.

Hopefully that helps clarify a bit!

Member #
    [QUOTE=jntdroid;3565]Were you running rooted stock? And if so, what version? Also, are you on T-Mobile USA or someone else?

i wasnt running stock, it was cyanogen, and it booted up correctly the first time again, but i decided to change it to a different rom, and yes tmobile

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Links