Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: HTC Update not installing on rooted phone.

Member #
    Phone Model
    HTC One S (Rooted)
    Phone Carrier
    Orange

HTC Update not installing on rooted phone.

It restarts then stops on the Clockwork MOD screne.

2. Register to Remove these Ads

Member #
    Liked
    29 times
    You probably changed something in systems. Better just revert back to stock if you want the update to install.

Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Theoretically (it worked for me, but not everyone evidently), you should be able to flash the stock recovery (manually through hboot), re-do the OTA, let it install, then once it's done, reflash clockwork and reflash the root .zip file.

And as Rob said, for the OTA to install, in addition to having the stock recovery image, the system has to be as it was prior to any tweaks. So if you froze any apps, or made any major system tweaks, it likely won't work. If you have a custom ROM, rather than just a rooted stock system, it won't work either, obviously.

The other option is flashing the RUU file to get back to stock completely - but the problem with the one floating around is it's about 99.9999% the same as the stock, factory system - but that .0001% difference is, evidently, causing some people to not get the OTA.

Otherwise, your best bet is to wait until someone bakes in the OTA stuff, radio, etc. into a custom ROM.

If you need more details on how to reflash the stock recovery, post up here and I'll try and get some more details up later. I have the .img file and can give you some instructions if need be. Or you could use the tool to reflash it, I believe (don't even remember the tool's name, I did it manually, but it's pretty common, and on XDA).
    UltraDroid likes this.
    "...life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it."

The only dumb question is the one not asked.

Make sure to include your phone model and carrier in your profile.

Guidelines of Conduct (for all of our forums)

Member #
    Phone Model
    HTC One S (Rooted)
    Phone Carrier
    Orange
    I'll look a little further into this when I have a little more time.

I tried to manually install the zip using clockwork mod but got a n error after it unpacked the .zip.

Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Quote Originally Posted by smegal View Post
    I'll look a little further into this when I have a little more time.

I tried to manually install the zip using clockwork mod but got a n error after it unpacked the .zip.
    It won't install with clockwork, gotta have stock recovery.

Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    I was going to link the stock recovery .img file for you, but it could be slightly different for your device... you'll want to check over on XDA and see if you can grab the .img file for the stock recovery from your current system version.

Then, download this file, extract to your desktop, stick the recovery .img file in that extracted directory, shift+right-click on that directory and choose "open command prompt window here". A DOS prompt should open (assuming you're on Windows, also assuming your drivers are good since you were able to root). Then reboot your phone into the bootloader ("adb reboot bootloader" in the command prompt - make sure usb debugging is enabled). Once your phone is in hboot, type the following in the command prompt: "fastboot flash recovery **********.img" (******** = filename). Reboot and you should be able to do the OTA as long as the other system requirements laid out above are met. Then once the OTA installs, you do the same thing to reflash clockwork, then reflash the Superuser .zip file through clockwork, and you'll be good to go.

Member #
    Phone Model
    HTC One S (Rooted)
    Phone Carrier
    Orange
    I am beginning to worry myself with my own stupidity now.

Is there a site with a list of stock roms? I am unsure how to identify the correct one for my phone.

Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Quote Originally Posted by smegal View Post
    I am beginning to worry myself with my own stupidity now.

Is there a site with a list of stock roms? I am unsure how to identify the correct one for my phone.
    are you running a custom ROM, I take it?

This thread might help: [ROM]Ville Shipped ROM Collection - xda-developers

Member #
    the OTA update soft bricked my phone. I've been trying to restore it to factory for a day and a half now. How do I tell if I have an S3 variant or an S4 variant? I've heard it makes a difference. I've tried to use the guide here on the forums, but at the end of the update, it just tells me that it can't update the version of android on my phone. I can push twrp or CWM to my phone, but both refuse to allow me to mount the phone as USB storage. is there a new version of CWM or TWRP that allow me to put the phone into USB mode? I need to get a rom onto the phone to use either of these utilities and can't seem to find the correct most current version of either of the apps. additionally, attempting to push using adb push rom_blah.zip /sdcard always results in a 0 bytes xfer. any ideas?

-B

Member #

Update

Quote Originally Posted by rbrookstx View Post
    the OTA update soft bricked my phone. I've been trying to restore it to factory for a day and a half now. How do I tell if I have an S3 variant or an S4 variant? I've heard it makes a difference. I've tried to use the guide here on the forums, but at the end of the update, it just tells me that it can't update the version of android on my phone. I can push twrp or CWM to my phone, but both refuse to allow me to mount the phone as USB storage. is there a new version of CWM or TWRP that allow me to put the phone into USB mode? I need to get a rom onto the phone to use either of these utilities and can't seem to find the correct most current version of either of the apps. additionally, attempting to push using adb push rom_blah.zip /sdcard always results in a 0 bytes xfer. any ideas?

-B
    So I figured out that the issue stemmed from not being able to do the restore via VMWare or Parallels (I'm on a mac). I tried it on my windows machine and it worked first time. But I'm back to square one. I have the factory rom on the phone, but the phone gets no service. t-mobile has looked at it and said it was an issue with the latest update, disabled the radios in several of the ONE S' here in the area. Is this true? do I have to wait for HTC?

Edit 1 -
    Flashed zydroid (based on 1.84 OTA) and it's still not working. Several other posts on support.t-mobile.com for the HTC One S mention the same thing.

Edit 2 - reverted back to stock again, attempted to manually register the device on the network, no dice (sim card not authorized error). Still troubleshooting, going to do a compare on the radio updates and see what's changed.....off to HTC again.
    Last edited by rbrookstx; 06-21-2012 at 11:19 AM. Reason: more updates part 2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Links