Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member #

HTC One S Teething Problems

I've had my One S for only one week from T-Mobile UK. Here are the problems so far:

1. Itís been carefully looked after, not dropped at all and kept in phone sock when not being used, and already the black coating is chipping off around the corner edge of the handset and around the USB/charging connect socket Ė not sure I believe HTC when they say this is an isolated issue! I have contacted T-Mobile who were not aware of the coating issue but have agreed to provide a replacement. I am hoping the replacement has a more durable coating.

2. The phone is set to use the network time/zone; however, the phone loses exactly 20 mins time when left in sleep more overnight, as a result, the alarm goes off late! The time can be re-synced correctly if the phone is reset (ie hold the power button and chose the reset option) but this is no good if you rely on the phone to wake you up! I have performed a complete factory reset to see if this fixes the problem.

3. I have also experienced numerous spontaneous reboots for no apparent reason. I am waiting to see if the rest above also fixes this issue.

Overall, very disappointed as I feel I am being used a Beta test guinea pig. This is the last HTC phone I will buy.

2. Register to Remove these Ads

Member #
    Shame to hear about this. I have the same phone, bought from amazon sim free and it seems ok for now. Thankfully no chips yet...

Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Howdy sloverige! (Don't I know you from Nexus or somewhere similar?) A few days ago, Engadget found the same thing (chipping), so I'm sure you can get a superior replacement (I'd wait a bit to ensure you get the 'newer' unit, though). The time and reboots are concerning..try straight Factory-delivered for a day (no app downloads) and see how stable it is..before beginning to load it up. Keep us posted! Cheers!

Member #
    I will send an email to HTC regarding the chips. If the casing is vulnerable, then they need to replace them all. I may look after mine and not get a chip for months!

Now that I can see more closely, on the area of the charger plug, there are 2 tiny metal lines where the plug clicks in, but in all fairness I don't think those count, and whatever you do, you will always have those there. It's where the 2 upper metal points slide into the jack.
    Last edited by vasp; 04-15-2012 at 02:27 PM.

Member #
    Email was sent to HTC yesterday and I will update you guys as soon as I get a response.

Member #
    Update.

With regards to the chipping issue, HTC have acknowledged the problem (quoted from xda web site):

"HTC is committed to delivering a high quality product and great experience for all our customers. There have been a few, isolated reports of this issue. The finish on the One S was laboratory tested as being at a hardness similar to ceramic. While that’s hard, it doesn’t mean it’s impossible to damage. Regardless, HTC takes quality very seriously and are providing all customers with an immediate fix and we are implementing some small changes to ensure customers do not experience this issue in the future."

However when I phoned the HTC UK customer support number this morning, they were not aware of the issue and the HTC statement, and had no process in place to deal with the matter! What a sorry state of affairs![/SIZE][/SIZE]

Member #
    That is true. I haven't heard from them yet, and I included photos in the email to them.

Member #
    A small update on this.

I called HTC today myself after sending photos of the 2 tiny chips that I had noticed. HTC repair center was quite helpfull and understanding of the situation. They couldn't obviously respond at that instance as HTC hasn't really figured out what they will do about it.

To me, looking at the phone construction this will only be an issue on the sharp edges of it, so mainly top and bottom, esp. when the HTC cases are not covering those areas. Ideally they should have made those curved as well that would eliminate the problem, so personally I don't see that happening.

So, I got the option to replace the current phone with a new one through amazon where I originally bought it, without obviously knowing if this would have any improvement over the current one. Of course this is something that I have to do to avoid losing the 30day warranty that UK laws have.

Thankfully amazon will put one in the post for me before sending this one back and so I'll be able to transfer all data from one to the other easier.

I also ordered a case that covers all angles of the phone in hope that it will allow the case to survive until HTC decides what to do. I would change slightly the casing and recall the current phones before the purchases become more and HTC loses credibility. I would still keep this phone though as I think it's brilliant.

Member #
    Update

Having rasied this issue with HTC UK via their spt web site, their response was:

"Dear Steve Loveridge,

Thank you for your reply to my email regarding the cermaic casing chipping off your HTC One S for which you have got a replacement.

No official statement has been made by HTC on this issue, but please keep your eye on the official HTC.com web page and linked Twitter feeds and Facebook pages for any official HTC statements.

I hope you are enjoying your new phone nad have no further issues."

Although I have seen a statement from HTC made via a number of websites (see earlier post), but it does not appear to be formally recognized by HTC UK.

Member #
    So did HTC send you a replacement directly? They told me that they could do that but could take up to 10 working days and so they suggested the retailer option instead.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links