Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times

Which Headset Do You Use? And How Do You Rate It?

Hello HTC One forum

Very impressed with my One v and am now looking for a good quality 3 button (receive/end, volume +/-) headset for it. There is a huge amount of posting on the 'net about this topic (3 buttons headsets really compatible with Android) but much is just opinion and supposition without evidence. So it would be great to use this thread specifically for One V owners who have actually tried headsets and control apps and to hear here how they work out or not. It seems they need the four ring style of plug to work, and still then some do and some don't.

Obviously there is HTCs own RC E190 3 button headset - but it is low end - only $30 or so.

I personally like Etymotic headsets for their great sound and they offer the hf2 model for Android but it only has one button - grrrrr.
    Its widely known of course that 1 button headsets can be set up with apps to perform several functions - but personally I don't want to have to click a button 3 times just to turn the volume down. So - anyone have any suggestions for me?

2. Register to Remove these Ads

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Well I'm using these

Phillips O'Neill The Specked in-ear headphones
    1.2m cord - fabric
    3.5mm jack
    9mm driver

I've never really used headphones/earphones before, always had a motorbike, which makes using them impractical, so cant compare to other ear/headphones

Anyway the stock earphones sounded ok, but were very annoying because they wouldnt stay in your ears. These earphones I honestly cant hear any difference.

They come with 3 different sized rubber bits (the bit that goes in your ear), & happily stay in your ears even with quite a bit of tug on the cord.
    They block out an awful lot of sound from the outside, eg a police car went by with sirens screaming, & I could only just hear it. I dont like this, I like to hear whats going on in the outside world, with my sound turned down low.
    The cord is just about long enough to be able to get the phone out of your trouser pocket & use it, with them still in your ears (assuming the cord is inside your top (hoodie))
    The single button works as start/pause, also answer call if your phone is ringing (more on that later) & end call if you're in a call.
    The mic works just fine (located on the left ear cord) & is situated ok.

The slider for volume control is a bit noisey with interference when you slide it, I think next time volume control will have to be by separate buttons. Also the slider doesnt actually control the volume of the phone, rather just the volume of the sound coming through the cord, & it doesnt go down to zero volume.

The deal breaker on these is the fabric cord. Yes it's tangle free, yes it seems strong enough, & it looks better I think than standard plastic ones.

BUT THE CORD IS INCREDIBLY NOISEY - basically the cord rubs on your clothing with the slightest bit of movement & makes a hell of a racket which is transmitted directly into your ears. A shame really.

I cant reccommend them because of the noise from the cord, & the dissappointing slider volume control

They cost me 20.49 from Argos, they are now being sold for 17.49 from Argos.

Ideally I would like a headset that can also skip forward/back on tracks, as well as all of the above

Regarding getting calls whilst listening to music, the music stops, you press your button to answer the call, but the screen becomes unlocked. So if you are walking around it's very likely to end your call. You have to put your hand in your pocket & lock the screen again. Also when you end your call using the button, it unlocks your screen again!
    According to HTC it was designed this way, the proximity sensor is disable when you have a headset plugged in. This is just stupid imo. (& nothing to do with the headset)
    Last edited by Ssscrudddy; 07-05-2012 at 03:31 AM.
    Is the pub open yet?

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Cheers Ssscrudddy - good informative review. While I am on Etymotic replied to me about their hf2 Android headphones - could offer "no advice" as to how well they might work with the One V
    Poor support on their part I think 2/10. Nick

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Well, I breifly tried the HTCs own RC E190. Sounded ok, didnt get any phone calls whilst trying it.

The '-' button skipped tracks forward
    The '+' button skipped tracks backward
    & there was no volume control, no combination of button pressing changed the volume.

Even copying the guy in the shop who had an S or an X, & the same earphones, for him to change the volume on his earphones you had to
    hold the middle button & at the same time press '+' or '-'
    Is the pub open yet?

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Its interesting - and disappointing - that the RC E190s don't change the volume. Also that the official page for them says that "this headset will not activate the Beats profile". EVERYTHING I have plugged into my One V has activated it - even plain connection cables.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Problem solved by installing an app.

Well I just installed the JAYS Headset Control app https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...headsetcontrol

A free app, works fine on my Phillips O'Neill The Specked in-ear headphones (featured 4 posts up). (I havent tried it in phone call mode, as I havent had any phone calls yet, I will update when that happens)

Single click - Pause/Play (& answer/end call)
    Double click - Next track (& decline call/mute mic)
    Triple click - Previous track - actually just goes to the beginning of the track, I have to pause the track 1st then triple click to get previous track
    Click & hold - Volume up
    Double click & hold - Volume down

Triple click & hold - not set, but can be set to start an app...

Also works fine on my stock earphones.
    Is the pub open yet?

Member #
    Phone Model
    HTC One V
    Phone Carrier
    T-Mobile
    I go these Klipsch S4 Earbuds (white)

I can't really compare, since the others I had before were of relativley low quality. This one had good reviews at many places and Amazon had them on discount. Judging by the price and the reviews, I would have thought, they'd be better. I would say, a class better. They sound very "mainstream", good general, overall sound, but a little bit boring, with a suprisingly (for me at least) deep base, more technical, though not analytic. Not audiophile, or such, but ok, though boring, mainstream.

For me, good earbuds are important, since I use my phone as an MP3 player, often (I got a 32GB SD card with 20GB only music). And since I use the earbuds often, I now know, what I will require my next pair to have: a system to keep the cable short (auto-roller). A mic and buttons would be nice as well, as well as decent sound. Noise isolation is the horror when walking on a road or driving the car. Don't do it ;-) Nearly ran into a car, that was coming from behind, when I walked a bit off the line.
    Bye, Andreas
    HTC One V - unbranded/stock

Member #
    Phone Model
    HTC One V
    Phone Carrier
    T-Mobile
    No stereo
    Bye, Andreas
    HTC One V - unbranded/stock

Member #
    Have got the motorokr s305 head set, grat sound with the tunes, and can hear difference from low quality recordings. Easily interfaces with the phone functions as well. Not bad for around $80 and wireless to boot. Can't stand the cable getting messy all the time
    Last edited by Harlequin; 12-15-2012 at 09:30 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Finally a company has launched a proper 3 button wired Android headset! NOCS NS200 (Android version, they also do a version for iPhone). Its not cheap but the reviews are good. Hopefully this means more manufacturers will launch versions too.

Name:  NS200-001_1024x1024.png
Views: 2688
Size:  72.7 KB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Links