Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
    Member #

Stuck in safe mode, volume issue?

Hi!

The second person I talked to on the HTC help line was not very helpful about this matter (the first time we agreed that I probably just needed to sim the battery pull and it'd be fixed), so I have resorted to the Internet.

A few days ago I turned on my phone after charging it all night and it said Safe Mode in the corner meaning I can't use most/any third party apps. So I called, reset my phone, but it kept launching in Safe Mode. I learned you do this by holding volume at launch or something...which I wasn't doing at all. After a little experimentation, I found that the volume button doesn't work at all in either direction. Home, back, and multi-task buttons all work perfectly fine, the power button works fine, cameras both work fine. It's just the volume button. I haven't dropped my phone, and my phone was fine when I plugged it up for the night.

So, does anyone know if it's a common issue that people have fixed on their own? If not, how much of a pain is it to send it to HTC to get fixed and how much (I doubt I'm on any sort of warranty with HTC by now)? It is the AT&T model, but donated to me by an employee, so that tends to make warranties through AT&T tricky.

I really think it's an awesome phone and the only phone I would really look at getting. So...if I could get it fixed somehow that'd be awesome.

Also, in the case of a factory reset...I'm an Android convert, so what is the best way to backup all of my data. I have my pictures, contacts, and music so I guess it wouldn't be the end of the world...but I would like to avoid downloading apps I had one by one if possible.

Thanks for any help!

2. Register to Remove these Ads

Member #
    Hi by any chance did you get your problem solved. I have the same problem with my One X and so far nothing on the internet is of any use. I too do not want to have to lose data etc.

Quote Originally Posted by kbATL View Post
    Hi!

The second person I talked to on the HTC help line was not very helpful about this matter (the first time we agreed that I probably just needed to sim the battery pull and it'd be fixed), so I have resorted to the Internet.

A few days ago I turned on my phone after charging it all night and it said Safe Mode in the corner meaning I can't use most/any third party apps. So I called, reset my phone, but it kept launching in Safe Mode. I learned you do this by holding volume at launch or something...which I wasn't doing at all. After a little experimentation, I found that the volume button doesn't work at all in either direction. Home, back, and multi-task buttons all work perfectly fine, the power button works fine, cameras both work fine. It's just the volume button. I haven't dropped my phone, and my phone was fine when I plugged it up for the night.

So, does anyone know if it's a common issue that people have fixed on their own? If not, how much of a pain is it to send it to HTC to get fixed and how much (I doubt I'm on any sort of warranty with HTC by now)? It is the AT&T model, but donated to me by an employee, so that tends to make warranties through AT&T tricky.

I really think it's an awesome phone and the only phone I would really look at getting. So...if I could get it fixed somehow that'd be awesome.

Also, in the case of a factory reset...I'm an Android convert, so what is the best way to backup all of my data. I have my pictures, contacts, and music so I guess it wouldn't be the end of the world...but I would like to avoid downloading apps I had one by one if possible.

Thanks for any help!

Links